Greece is home to some 6000 islands, 200 odd of which are inhabited and the largest of them all is Crete. Home to the world’s oldest olive tree and centre of Europe’s oldest civilisation, the Minoan (2700BC), this truly is Ancient Greece. In western Crete it is the Venetian influence which can be more keenly felt and is in evidence in places such as Chania with the lovely multi-coloured marina reminiscent of Burano and Portofino. This trip focuses on enjoying the spectacular scenery that Crete has to offer: from one of Europe’s largest gorges to beaches with water to rival that of the Caribbean. And as with all trips with Lucy Loves Travel, the focus is on moments as much as monuments, meaning wine tasting, cookery lessons, walking and hiking and sitting in cafes watching the world go by. Yiamas!
Day 1 Welcome to Greece!
Today you will be whisked away from the airport to your hotel where you can unwind, relax and perhaps enjoy a wander around the charming marina of Chania, enjoying a walk out to the lighthouse to get the best views of the multi-coloured houses which adorn the harbour. (D)
Day 2 Boats ahoy!
Today enjoy a day out on a private boat, visiting the truly spectacular beaches of Balos, Gramvousa and a private beach. You will return mid-afternoon where the rest of the day and evening is free for perhaps visiting the archaeological museum or even the Greek National soccer museum!(B, L)
Day 3 Surprise Day!
Today is a surprise day. Further details will be given closer to the time. The late afternoon and evening are free for you to relax. (B, L)
Day 4 Putting the Gorge in Gorgeous
Today you will head out early (to avoid the midday sun and crowds) to the one of Europe’s largest gorges, the Samaria Gorge. Once there, enjoy a walk through the park and a brunch picnic. Upon leaving you will enjoy an opportunity to explore some more of Crete’s lovely beaches by boat. This evening enjoy a typical Cretan meal. (B, D)
Day 5 Greek Indulgence
The day begins with a visit to the world’s oldest olive tree in Vouves, dating back two to four thousand years BC and still producing olives to this day. Enjoy the opportunity to sample the famous, traditional Greek olive oil with a light brunch.
Rethymno is the European Wine City of 2018 and holds an annual wine festival every July. Western Crete in general is known for its good quality wines. Today discover more of the history of wine growing in this area, although of course the proof is in the tasting, something you will be doing plenty of over a late lunch. The evening is yours to spend at leisure. (B, L)
Day 6 Beautiful Botanical Gardens
Today you will be led around the Botanical gardens where you can enjoy the scents of all the herbs, plants, fruits and flowers typical of the island before using those very same as the ingredients to prepare a typically Greek mezze lunch.
This afternoon and evening you have at your leisure. (B, L)
Day 7 Day trip to Santorini
Today you head for a day trip to the jewel in Greece’s crown of islands: Santorini. Famed for her blue domed churches and white towns gracing the top of the volcanic mountain like snow, she is truly one of the loveliest places to wander and enjoy views from every which angle. We will head into Oía, enjoy some free time and then come together for a late lunch before heading down into Fira and then setting sail back to Crete. (B, L).
Day 8 Departure
Time to say goodbye to Greece, although more of an ‘until the next time’. Today you will be taken to the airport by private transfer.
Included in this trip:
- 8 nights in Crete
- Centrally located, upmarket hotels.
- The services of an extremely highly qualified and experienced Tour Manager who will accompany you throughout your trip.
- Transfers to and from the airport.
- Private transport, unless otherwise stated.
- High speed boattransport between Crete and Santorini
- All tips. For instance, tips to tour managers, local guides, restaurants and porterage (where available) are all included in the total price; one less thing to think about.
- Food & Beverages:
- Breakfast and either lunch or dinner unless otherwise stated.
- When lunch and/or dinner are included, alcohol in the form of wine and/or beer is provided, unless otherwise stated.
- Cookery lesson in the Botanical gardens
- Visit to Santorini
- Entrance to the archaeological site of Delos
- Private full day boat cruise of Balos, Gramvousa and private beaches
- Winery visit
- A surprise. We are children at heart after all
- There are no ‘optionals’ for sale. Everything you have in the itinerary is included in the total cost.
- Aperitivi, coffee and snacks where stated.
Not included in this trip:
- Flights not included. I suggest that you book return flights to Chania international airport.
- Travel insurance.
Please note that in booking a trip with me, you are also contributing to charities which support young people in education. The charity I currently give to is the Malala Fund: www.malala.org , whose mission it is to help the 130 million girls worldwide, who are currently unable to access education.
Customised itinerary designed by Lucy Loves Travel Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 – Lucy Loves Travel Ltd. All rights reserved.